If you love citrus desserts and you love chocolate, get ready for these zesty one-of-a-kind truffles! When I made this recipe, I took a bite of the truffle and pictured those chocolate heart boxes you get for Valentine’s Day and there’s always some fruity flavored chocolate in the mix. Least the one’s I got, haha. Like I said, if you like citrus flavors, this truffle’s for you!
Orange Zest Truffles
Serving Size – 10 truffles
Prep Time -15 minutes
Freeze Time – 30 minutes
- 9 pitted dates
- 1 cup of hazelnuts
- 2 tbs almond butter
- 3 tsps cacao/cocoa powder
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 1 tbs orange extract
- dash of nutmeg
- zest of 1 orange
- Soak your dates in some warm water for about 5-10 min. Remove the pits if they come with them.
- In a food processor, add your mix ingredients: dates, 1 cup of hazelnuts, orange extract, cacao/cocoa powder, almond butter & nutmeg
- Blend the mix. Will come out sticky and “crunchy.”
- Form small truffle balls and place them on a pan with parchment paper.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, warm up 1 cup of chocolate chips + 1 tbs of coconut oil for about 1 minute. Remove and mix so all the chips melt away.
- Drench each truffle ball now with chocolate and place them back in the pan with parchment paper.
- Zest one orange on top of the truffles and let some zest sprinkle over them.
- Freeze for 30 minutes and enjoy!