The perfect combination of sweet, tangy and spice!
This easy vegan muffin recipe is the perfect treat for Halloween or Thanksgiving! Once fall starts, I don’t know about you but I want to eat all the warm and cozy pumpkin-y treats.
For these muffins I wanted to make them breakfast-friendly so I decided to add a little bit of citrus and the cranberry tangy touch. It was my first time using organic orange zest extract -careful cause it’s strong! If you’re not feeling the zangy/citrus twist, remove the orange extract and cranberries and add in your favorite vegan chocolate chips or perhaps some pecans or pumpkin seeds. Your pick! Let’s cook.
Cranberry Orange Pumpkin Spice Muffins
Serving Size: 18 muffins
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 serving of 15 oz canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup of almond milk (or any plant based milk)
- 1/3 cup of melted triple filtered coconut oil*
- 1 3/3 cups of raw cane sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 1/4 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin spice powder
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of organic orange extract
- 1/2 cup of dried cranberries (sweet or unsweetened)
- Preheat oven at 375 degrees.
- With coconut oil (or whichever you prefer for baking) oil the muffin pan. I like to use Trader Joe’s easy spray coconut oil. If you are using cupcake liners, oil those too for easy non-stick removal. Set your muffin pan aside while you mix up the muffin batter.
- In a large bowl, add the pumpkin, sugar, almond milk, coconut oil and orange extract. Whisk together until it makes a smooth mixture.
- With a large sifter, add to the wet mixture all the dry ingredients. This includes: flour, baking powder, pumpkin spice, cinnamon and salt.
- Whisk all the ingredients together until you get a smooth fluffy batter. Add in the dried cranberries and whisk together into batter.
- Fill up your muffin cups about 2/3 of the way each. Just be sure to leave some space for them to rise.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Take a toothpick and poke all the way through and remove. If nothing comes off the muffin, they are ready! If you get a little batter on the toothpick, leave them in for a few more min until you get clean toothpicks.
- Remove from oven and let them cool. Option to add some icing or decorations of your choice. Make them spooky for Halloween 🙂
- Enjoy, or as we say in Puerto Rico, Buen Provecho!