Looking for the perfect grab-n-go breakfast, this is it! These breakfast empanadas are so incredibly filling and leave you feeling fueled and ready for your day!
Filled with tofu scramble and per my suggestion, dipped in some tomatillo salsa – so yummy! If you’re feeling extra, dip it in some guac, cause why not. These are great for meal prep, if you have some time on the week/weekend to assemble them. You can store them in the fridge for 3-4 days unbaked and bake them as you go OR you can freeze them, thaw and bake when you’re ready. So, they’re a nice breakfast option to wake up, turn on the oven, bake, get ready for your day and take with you once they’re done!
Serving Size: 8-10 empanadas
Cook Time: 60 minutes
- 1 pack of frozen (vegan) puff pastry
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 block of super firm tofu
- 1/4 chopped purple onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup guacamole (for time sake, I use store bought)
- 2 small golden potatoes
- 1 handful of shredded vegan cheese
- 1 handful of shredded carrots
- dash of turmeric
- dash of salt
Optional: serve with tomatillo salsa, guacamole or vegan sour cream!
- Take out puff pastry from freezer and thaw for at least 25-30 min (until soft). You can do this while you are cooking the tofu scramble.
- Chop up your onion, bell pepper and potatoes.
- Unpack the block of tofu, cut in half and then cut that part in half (you’re gonna use 1/4 of the whole block).
- If you have a tofu press, go ahead and do that. If not, and you’re like wth is that!? Just place your tofu on a large piece of paper towel. Cover the whole tofu with the paper towel and press down. You’ll notice all the water will come out of the tofu.
- Chop your pressed tofu into small pieces. Then, with a fork or potato masher, mash up all the tofu. It will look like scrambled eggs.
- Preheat oven at 375 degrees.
- Next, in a saute pan, add your olive oil, onion and minced garlic. Saute for 1-2 mins.
- Add your bell pepper and potato to the pan and saute for another 2-3 min. Add in your tofu, shredded carrots, sun-dried tomatoes and dash of turmeric and salt. Saute another 2-3 min. Just be sure your potatoes are soft! Set aside your tofu scramble.
- Lay out your puff pastry sheets and cut out med circles 2-3 inches in width. (I use the “med” sized round pastry cutter from my set of 3).
- Take each circle pastry, add 1 tbsp of guacamole, 1-2 tbsp of tofu scramble and a pinch of shredded cheese.
- With a fork, press the edges to make closed ridges.
- With coconut oil spray (or whichever you prefer for baking) spray the non-stick baking pan. I like to use Trader Joe’s easy spray coconut oil.
- Transfer all your assembled empanadas to the baking pan and spray them all as well with a little coconut oil on top.
- Bake empanadas for 25-30 min until golden flaky brown color achieved.
- Buen Provecho!