It wasn’t until I moved to Los Angeles that I found out there was such a thing as BAKED donuts. If you’ve never tried baked donuts, oh my gosh, do yourself a favor and bake these right now. Personally, I was never a fan of the normal fried, icing covered or jelly filled donuts. I don’t even like cake for that matter so…haha I know, what a strange human I am. But, I will say I’ve always been a fan of pound cake! And once I tried baked donuts, it was like a match made in heaven. It’s a birthday staple for me every year now.
There are so many different flavors you can make, but one of my favorites is blueberry. So for this recipe, I cooked up a batch of blueberry baked vegan donuts. Did I mention they’re gluten free, too?
I just love this time of year when you can bake away all kinds of yummy holiday treats and gift them out at work or school, your next Christmas party, etc. These donuts make the perfect DIY holiday treats. Just add some frosting & holiday sprinkles, I promise, they’re a hit!
If you like visuals, feel free to check out the how-to recipe video here.
Blueberry Baked Donuts
Serving Size – 12 donuts
Prep Time – 10 minutes
Cook Time – 35 minutes
- 1.5 Cups Gluten Free All Purpose Flour (or regular flour)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 3/4 cups of raw cane sugar
- 3/4 cups of almond milk (or any plant based milk)
- 1.5 tsps vanilla extract
- 2 tbs of apple sauce
- 5 tbs melted vegan butter (I love Earth Balance butter)
- handful of fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl sift your flour into the bowl.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, raw sugar and baking powder. Whisk all together.
- Add in almond milk, vanilla extract, apple sauce and melted butter. Whisk all together. Mix with your hands if needed.
- Add a handful of fresh blueberries to the batter and mix in together.
- In a non-stick donut pan, fill in the donut molds with the batter.
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 15-17 minutes.
- Let them cool off for a few minutes before removing from donut baking pan. Enjoy!
Add some vegan-friendly frosting on top and holiday sprinkles!