Looking for a new twist on a traditional Thanksgiving dish? How about a savory, crispy take on that sweet potato casserole!
Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE the traditional sweet potato casserole with the baked marshmallows on top sprinkled with cinnamon. But, sometimes, I also feel like I’ve already had dessert by the time the pie comes around! If that doesn’t apply to you, maybe you just wanna have both casseroles at your Thanksgiving, ha! After all, it’s Thanksgiving, so you can eat everything you want, am I right!?
Hope you enjoy this take on the traditional sweet potato casserole!
Sweet Potato Casserole
Serving Size – 10 servings
Prep Time – 10 minutes
Cook Time – 45 minutes
- 1 bag of sweet potatoes
- 1 pack of fresh cremini mushrooms
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 tbsps minced garlic
- 1 cup plant based milk (I use coconut milk in this recipe)
- 1.5 cups vegan butter (I love Earth Balance vegan butters)
- 1 handful of fresh spinach
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1.5 cups veggie broth
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup fried onions
- dash of salt
- dash of pepper
- Peel your sweet potatoes (option to leave the skins, I don’t love the texture personally) and boil them till ready to mash and set aside.
- While your potatoes are boiling, cut up the yellow onion and mushrooms.
- In a saute pan on med heat, add some olive oil, the minced garlic and onions. Saute and then cover for about 2 min. Then, add some veggie broth to the onions, saute and cover to cook for another 2-3 min.
- Uncover, add your mushrooms, some more veggie broth and 1/2 cup of vegan butter (unmelted). Saute and cover to cook for about 10-15 minutes until the onions are translucent in color and the mushrooms look like they’ve absorbed some “sauce.”
- Uncover, add a handful of spinach, dash of salt and pepper and saute. Cover and cook for another 2 min, then this part’s ready. Set aside in a bowl so the sauteed veggies cool down. (Be sure to include the buttery liquid as well).
- Preheat oven at 375 degrees.
- Add your cooked sweet potatoes to a large mixing bowl, add 1 cup of vegan butter (unmelted). Mash up and mix together with a whisk until smooth. Add your plant based milk, dash of salt and mix again.
- Transfer the mashed sweet potato to you oven-safe casserole dish. Smooth out the mashed sweet potato evenly. Add the sauteed veggies on top, evenly (hold the buttery liquid).
- Sprinkle bread crumbs throughout and then some fried onions. (I like to add just a bit more fried onions after the casserole has baked as well so I don’t add too much here).
- Pour the buttery liquid from the sauteed veggies throughout the top of the casserole.
- Bake your casserole at 375 degrees for 15-20 min. (uncovered).