This mildly-spicy lentil stew is the perfect wholesome dinner if you’re looking for something fresh, filling and hearty. Packed with so many nutrients, from protein, fiber, magnesium, iron…lentils are just amazingly nutrient dense! Clearly, I love them hehe
For this recipe, I decided to accompany my lentils with some cooked brown rice. There are so many other options you could pair this with like quinoa, farro, some mashed potatoes, etc. And honestly, if you wanna skip the side, these lentils are satisfying enough you can eat them on their own. I like to make this stew on the less “liquidy” side. If you’re not familiar with cooking lentils, be aware that they like to soak up liquid real quickly. So, just add some more water to the stew as it cooks. Don’t forget a little more salt, too! Alright, I hope you enjoy the hearty meal as much as I do. Let’s cook!
Fire Roasted Tomato & Lentils Stew
Serving Size: 4 -6 servings
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 2 cups of dried lentils
- 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 Qt Organic Vegetable Broth
- 1/2 chopped purple onion
- 1 can organic fire roasted tomatoes (I used the Trader Joe’s brand)
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic (or fresh, but maybe use 1/2 tablespoon if fresh)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt (add more or less to your taste)
- Chop up half of a fresh purple onion.
- In your pan, add the olive oil, chopped onion and minced garlic. Sauté on medium heat until your onions look soft and juicy.
- Add the dry lentils to the pan and sauté with the onions for just 3-4 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth to the pan and mix together.
- Add in the salt and the fire roasted tomatoes. Taste the broth and make sure the saltiness is to your taste!
- Cover the pan and let the lentils cook on medium heat for 20 min. Uncover and check for lentil-to-broth ratio. If the you like them a bit more liquidy, see if you need to add a little more water.
- Enjoy, or as we say in Puerto Rico, Buen Provecho!